fisha's
memoria
fisha's memoria
  • i
  • ii
  • +
  • Idiosyncratic
    Saturday | 9:30 am | 0 comments


    idiosyncratic

    /ˌɪdɪə(ʊ)sɪŋˈkratɪk/

    adjective

    1. relating to idiosyncrasy; peculiar or individual.
      "she emerged as one of the great, idiosyncratic talents of the nineties"

     

    Have you ever thought about this before. Idiosyncratic could be expressed either in a good way or negative way.  Lemme explain it in my own way. Idiosyncratic also could be meaning as everyone is beautiful in their own way, but it is up to them whether they want to express or embrace it.

     

     My teacher once said that, everyone is gifted, but gifted in their own way and it's our task to find it. Actually, I was dumbfounded when I heard it for the first time cuz I still didn't know what was that meaning (I was 6 years old btw). Then, let's take Darth Vader's quote but in a positive way, "Don't underestimate the power of dark side me". Okay, I admit that I am a huge Star Wars fan, thus I would love to relate all of my post to any Star Wars characters. Yet, most of us are loafing to figure out what is our power.

     

    When I grew up, I realized that I still hadn't figured out what was the strength within myself. I kept asking my mom, "Mom, what is my power?", then my mom would be answering like this, "You are neither a Marvel superhero nor DC hero, honey". Then, I was left dumbfounded again. At that night, I pondered a lot about it then the conversations of my friends popped out in my mind. "Why do you talk so fast, is Eminem your uncle?". Frankly, I took that thing personally, it was like an insult to me. I tried to change my talking pace, it worked for a few days but eventually I couldn't adapt to it very well. My insecurities undeniably spiked up like a SpaceX rocket, I started to despise on myself. I often tried to hide my idiosyncratic, however, it emerged obviously; my stuttering problem was getting awful and I was laughed by most of my friends.

     

    Nonetheless, my perception towards myself changed, thanks to random person in Facebook, I found a picture that was written "It's okay to be different", showing a stick man in different path to his friends. Perhaps, that pic would be in r/Iam14andthisisdeep now. I just realized that my weakness which was "talking fast" isn't my weakness at all, it could be my forte. Not everyone can talk fast. To be very honest, apparently I can say more than 40 words in 10 sec, it is kinda impressive for me. Also, I have found an article that fast talker could be a better speaker if they slow their pace a bit since they think fast, hence, they could bring better message to the audience. Honestly, it worked wonderfully. Every time I do a presentation, alhamdulillah, I always receive compliments either from my lecturers/teachers or my friends. My anxiety doesn't skyrocket like before, I can handle it marvelously. In fact, I love doing presentation, it helps me to bolster my confidence. Now, I embrace my idiosyncratic,even though some people would have hard time to understand what am I saying.

     

    I learn to accept myself for who am I. Clearly, my mom was wrong. Actually, I am a DC hero, I am the Flash, but in term of 'speaking-pace'. Perhaps, I still don't unravel my hidden power, yet, I reckon that sometimes our foible could be our strength. You just need to embrace it and express your flaw in heavenly ways.

     

     

     

     

     

     



    Older Post Newer Post

    Credit: fully-coded by Fisha